Sunday, October 9, 2011

Dreaming of June...

I can't wait for June. This should come as no surprise to those of you that know me. There will be lots of good stuff that happens in June - Ellie will be coming to live with us, I will have hopefully survived the first year of my PhD program, the US Olympic Trials for track and field will be held here, and rumor has it that is when the sun starts making daily appearances in the Pacific Northwest. However, with the exception of Ellie coming up here, the thing I might be most excited about is that June is when tomatoes will be back in season.


Why write about this in the middle of October? Because the tomatoes we saw yesterday at the Farmers Market look nothing like the tomatoes we have seen the rest of the time we have been here. In other words, tomato season is over. Fresh tomatoes are fantastic treats. They come in all varieties (grape, roma, plum, heirloom, cherry), shapes (round, pumpkin, oval) and colors (red, yellow orange, green, purple). Tomatoes are a staple of Italian food. Tomatoes are in a word... amazing. Unfortunately now I have to wait until sometime in June to next enjoy a tasty, wonderful, juicy tomato goodness. Farewell freshly grown tomatoes... I will think of you fondly and often until we become reacquainted...

No comments:

Post a Comment

OOOH oooh!! We love comments!!!